The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

WOW!!! Today was totally amazing!

I felt like I needed a picture to show how I feel after today's run so I did a quick search on google and this is what I found:

I didn't even know there was a national running day - must be in another country, not Canada. Of course, it's not like I've been totally tuned in to running stuff and would know, even if there was a national running day.

So today's run...I was really late getting going. I was tired this morning and it was raining so I just hung out with the kids. I was still deciding whether to move on to week 3 day 1 after Wednesday evening's rather disappointing struggle around the loop. I decided to stick with week 2 day 3 for one more time, because I really didn't think I was ready for week 3 or that I would be able to do the two 3-minute running intervals that are required. (Seeing as how Wednesday night nearly killed me). I saw this picture on google and it reminded me how I felt on Wednesday night).



Once I decided to do w2d3 again, I had to decide which shoes to wear: the new ones that really hurt my feet Wednesday night or my old ones that hurt my feet a little bit everytime I run in them. Eventually I decided it was time to go, so I got my gear on, put on my new sneakers and headed out the door.

I went my normal route today and by some stroke of luck almost all of my running intervals were on either a flat surface or a little bit of a downhill. I felt great through the first five 90-second running intervals! My legs weren't sore, my feet didn't hurt (too much- just a little discomfort under my arch but waaayyyy better then Wednesday night), and it didn't rain too much on me.

My sixth and last running interval was on the uphill stretch between Alderney Drive and The Magnolia. That one was a bit tougher and my legs started to get a little sore, but I made it to the end and bounced my way through a brisk cool-down walk to home.

I actually felt like I could have run another 90 second interval. This is the first time I have gone out and not faced sore muscles throughout the running effort. I am feeling pretty proud of myself - partly for sticking with this and mostly for doing something that is really good for me and makes me feel awesome! I am starting to see how this running thing can be addictive!!

Before I started the first running interval, I had decided that since I was repeating w2d3 I would run at my comfortable pace from the start and see if I would get worn out and have to start turtle running the rest. I think this may have helped with the muscle aches I was getting because it just felt comfortable the whole time. I really didn't have to turtle run, except maybe a little on the very last stretch up that little hill on Highway 2.

I know there are some other people with milestones in the couch to 5k program. A certain good friend (who is a little shy) completed week 1 day 3 today!

I found a website this week that has some great tips for stretching and injury prevention, and has a good beginners' running forum too. I have been following the C25k group and there are lots of other people also doing this program. It's at http://www.runnersworld.com/.

I hope you have managed to make some time for yourself and get out the door to exercise!


No comments: