The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Monday, June 27, 2011

3 Minute Intervals and still alive to tell the tale....

I ran after work tonight in a beautiful 25 degree evening. Did my warm up walk and got ready for week 3. Week 3 consists of a 90 second run, 90 second walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk, repeat.

The first 90 second run was up a little hill but as I crested the top it was easier on the other side and I made it. Then I spent the next 90 seconds thinking that 3 minutes was going to be a really long time. Before I knew it, my new friend the nice British lady told me to run...and off I went. Just when I was thinking that I might never hear from her again, she finally came on and told me to walk. I got a 3 minute walk to recover and I have to tell you at this point I'm thinking I should turn around because I'm not even at the corner of Alderney and Heather Lane and I am halfway done of today's run. Anyway, I turn down Alderney for a change in scenery and do my walk. I was more than ready when the nice lady told me to run again, and the 90 seconds went past in no time.

During the 90 second walk my feet were getting a little sore, but before I knew it the nice lady told me that "there is no feeling like finishing a challenge and a run is no different. I want you to finish this run. I don't want you to stop. Run through the pain and you will be so glad you did."

Before I had a chance to recover from the thought that this was going to hurt, she told me to run already. Off I went, still on Alderney. It seemed like I didn't have to focus as much on my breathing today, it seemed to come a little more naturally. The Brit cuts in and I start to get excited but then she says "you are 2 minutes in, you only have 1 more minute to go." Hmmm,  I think I am feeling pretty good so I pick up the pace a little and finish that 3 minutes strong. 

"Don't stop moving now, you need to finish your 3 minute brisk walk." Clearly, the nice British lady cannot see from England that I am exactly halfway around the loop from home, only at Wilson Road, and this is most definitely going to require more than 3 minutes of walking.

So I switched over to my 80's playlist and bopped my way along all the way to the corner of Tyler and White Road. And then a really good song came on and I really felt the need to run again.  I knew I probably shouldn't, but oh well. So I took off and ran from that corner to the bottom of Lacy Anne. Enjoyed a slow saunter back up the hill and did my stretches.

So 'I Feel Good' after doing the 3 minute intervals and then running extra afterwards. Todd and Rod Porter are now influencing me into a cold beer to celebrate, so I must go!

2 comments:

Ingi said...

Way to go!!! Love those voices in your head! And totally loving the 80's playlist too :-) Keep on running!

Ingi said...

Way to go!!! Love those voices in your head! And totally loving the 80's playlist too :-) Keep on running!