The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Reflections on Week One of Exercise

So, here it is, the end of my first full week of exercise (again). What's different this time? Why do I think I will keep with it? Do I feel any better? Should I keep at it or call it quits? (keep in mind I am asking this question the night before I need to pull my butt out of bed at approximately 5:45am to do the Tuesday morning portion of this activity - and if you don't remember how much I like mornings, see last week's posts).

OK- let's answer some of these questions.

1) What's different this time?

The threat of having to appear in a bathing suit on a beach in front of people I know. Sort of. Enough to know I don't want to be this size when I do it. The challenge of doing something that requires some kind of physical endurance in my big birthday year is also motivating for me.

2) Why do I think I will keep with it?

Because it's about more than that. I need to take better care of my health for myself and my kids. I know a man who passed away on Saturday at 50 from a sudden and unexpected massive heart attack. I don't know if exercise and eating better will help, but I am game to try it. Within reason.

3) Do I feel any better?

I do actually. On the days I have exercised I seem to have more energy and be happier than usual. And I think I have more energy on the non-exercising days too.

4) Should I keep at it or call it quits?

Hmmmmmmmmm....even with the impending dread of dragging myself out of bed tomorrow, I definitely need to keep at it.

Plan for this week: 30 minutes Tuesday and Thursday, trying to run more telephone poles each time. On Saturday, an 8 km trek is called for to build endurance. That one is going to be tough to fit in, but I will see what I can do.

What are you going to do?

New this week: I am really going to focus on improving my diet. Not just at lunchtime, but for the other meals in the day too. Todd has graciously offered to make me a healthy breakfast. ;-) I am also considering the need for a pedometer. And a new playlist for my ipod.

Don't forget - if you are starting this exercise and fitness thing too, I think you can post on my blog with me. I need to figure out how to do that from a technological perspective, but I should have that figured out by July so start thinking about your ideas and let me know!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hey Wanda, Keep it up and that bathing suit will be a bikini in no time at all. I just want to know if you are strictly just running or are you planning to do core fitness workouts as well.

Tina said...

Go Wanda!! I'm very impressed and very proud of you. You've been an inspiration for me and I'm looking foward to watching you do a run for that special day in the future!! You'll have to let us know what some of the healthy breakfast options are!

WandaWoman said...

Thanks girls. I may do some core workouts as well. We have The Biggest Loser for Wii and it has some really great workouts on it that you can do in the comfort and privacy of your basement. I think that's where I will start, after I get into a little better shape!