The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Monday, August 8, 2011

Back from Vacation and BIG NEWS!!

Hey there everyone! After a two week vacation at the beach, I've got some tales to tell and then I've got some big news to share.

We hauled the trailer to Gulf Shore Campground two weeks ago today, July 25th. It was a beautiful day and after getting situated we swam in the Northumberland Strait for a few hours. The water was warm and I couldn't believe my two week beach vacation had finally arrived.

If I had known then that it was going to rain for 11 of the 14 days I would be at the beach, I would have swam MUCH longer.

That week at Gulf Shore was warm, even with the rain. I completed week 6 of the C25k program on the road along the Gulf Shore, mostly cursing the hills but occasionally the heat as well. It was very hilly along the way there, and even smiling at Anne Murray as she drove by me one morning wasn't enough to cheer me up about how HARD it was to run on that road.





We had a great week at Gulf Shore, dining and visiting with the Porters and then with Michelle and Wayne, too. The Richards (complete with Mama Richard and Emmy from Quebec) also visited at Gulf Shore, and joined us in the wait for the sun to shine. At this point in time I was wondering how much rain you could get on your beach vacation - it couldn't last forever, could it?

On Sunday the 31st we moved along the North Shore to Brule Point, at Sunset Watch Campground. It was a nice day and in all the excitement about the sun I forgot sunscreen so I managed to get a sunburn. First thing Monday morning Todd was out of bed for his walk. He was back in no time, swiping at bugs, out of breath and warning me about the crazy Brule morning mosquitoes. He ended up running most of the time he was gone, and seriously recommended avoiding running up the road and past the field.

So I went back to sleep and at 8:15 decided I would go into Tatamagouche to run. I didn't map out a route beforehand, so I kind of went by feel. The sidewalks are awesome in Tatamagouche, and I had a good run.  I struggled twice on hills and had to walk for about a minute each time, but otherwise felt better about running in Tatamagouche than on the Gulf Shore Road.

This was the last day of sunshine for MANY days. Wednesday was very overcast with intermittent rain, but I went into town and measured my route BEFORE I ran it. Did well with the 25 minute run, but still had those two 60 second walks in the middle.

On Friday, the morning dawned bright and if not warm, then at least not cold enough to require the heat be turned on in the trailer. This was Michelle's day to return to running after her Gulf Shore injury. We drove to the Mennonite Bakery and set off for our respective runs. The shy friend is FAST...I couldn't keep up to her! The run along the Brule Shore Road wasn't as easy as in Tatamagouche, the pavement is falling apart in spots and it would have been very easy to turn an ankle. Anyway, we finished up and went to the Bakery for more sticky cinnamon buns and home made bread and coffee. Yum.





Friday afternoon turned out to be sunny but cold due to a strong northerly wind along the shore. Thanks to the Porters, we got the heads up about seeing the Northern Lights over PEI and ran out from the 45's tournament to see them. That was really neat.

Saturday was beautiful, the morning dawned with blue skies and seals playing in the bay, jumping like dolphins and then lounging on the rocks. That was really cool!

The hottest and nicest beach day of my two week beach vacation was Sunday, the day we had to pack up and move the trailer home. Some things in life just aren't fair.

Today I started week 8 of the program and ran 28 minutes straight, covering 2 miles (3.2km) during that time.  I had to run on the treadmill for the first time, since it was raining so hard today. But I must look on the bright side...I am all set for my birthday 5k. It's September 25th and takes place on the Toronto Islands. And my shy friend Michelle is coming to run it with me! The 'Island Girl' Marathon Weekend is for Women Only, and is a Caribbean themed race. Of course, the supportive husbands, Todd and Wayne will be there to cheer us on.

http://www.islandgirlrunning.com/gallery.html

So I've got to get my act in gear and get some better distance in on these runs. Distance training starts two weeks from today after I finish the C25k program!

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments: