The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

And another race idea....

Hello....in spite of the pouring rain last night I made a special visit to the treadmill in my basement to complete Week 8 Day 2 of the C25k program. I knew if I moved some junk around and cleared my way past basketballs and the mini-hoop net I would find a treadmill in that room somewhere. ;-)

I spent two hours Wednesday night making a special playlist for myself at the beat per minute rate that I figured out is somewhat comfortable but also challenging for me to run to. I am still striving to get to 5k so I need all the help I can get.  I headed to the basement last night with my new playlist loaded on my ipod and off I went.

Here's my new playlist:
 Warm-up walk (7 minutes):
     One Week - the Barenaked Ladies
     Pink Cadillac - Natalie Cole

 Running Music (28 minutes):
     Jump (for my love) - the Pointer Sisters (135 bpm)

Two minutes in and my calves started to hurt for the first time in weeks. What's with that???

     Beat It - Michael Jackson (135 bpm)
     Pretty Vegas - INXS (136 bpm)
     Rio - Duran Duran (142 bpm)
     That's Not My Name - the Ting Tings (146 bpm for 5 whole minutes. Youch)

This is about the time the sweat was rolling over my lip and likely splashing the floor.

     Thunderstruck - ACDC (128 bpm)
     Shake It - Metro Station (150 bpm for the last 3 minutes)

I was pretty sure I might die before that last song ended. Of course, Abby was standing beside me watching every gasp for breath that I made.

And then the cool-down walk to U2's Beautiful Day.

I managed to cover 4.5km during my 40 minutes of exercise. That was very exciting! There is hope that I might manage to do 5k yet!!

Tomorrow is w8d3 and then next week is my final week of the Couch to 5k program. Can you believe I am almost there? I can't. It's not that long ago that I couldn't run for 90 seconds at a time, let alone a half hour.

I found out this week that there is a race in my hometown on Labour Day (September 5th). The Jimmy Hawboldt / Fred Lays Sr. Memorial Road Race offers a 1 mile course and a 5 mile course. So I think I might enter it with the kids and do the 1 mile race (cause there's no way I am running 5 miles by then!!). They also have kids races in the park and stuff, but I know Noah and Abby can outrun me so they can come with me in the 1 miler. My first race, and doing it with my kids! Wish me luck!
    

No comments: