The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The dreaded day 3 of week 5 is done! 20 minutes straight of running!

And I am still alive to tell the tale. We were at the cottage yesterday, and after a late night of card playing with Lee and Gerard it was a late morning getting started. (Don't ask Gerard who won!) It was COLD at the shore and there was a lot of wind coming off the water.

Lee and Gerard have a spectacular view in the landing - here's what it looks like:


Well - their view is slightly to the right of this picture, but you get the idea. So I spent two hours deliberating about whether it was too cold to run outside and if I really wanted to brave the hills of Pictou Landing for this 20 minutes straight of running. Then I decided there was no better time than the present, so I started to get ready. Of course, I've never really run in cold weather so I wasn't really sure what to wear. I decided on my regular dri-fit clothes with a sweatshirt over top (since I hadn't brought a jacket). I was pretty sure I might be cold, but off I went with Noah for company.

We decided to turn right at the main road instead of doing the big loop like we did last weekend. This turned out to be a good idea, because I was pretty sure we were running along a relatively flat surface.

After the 5 minute warm-up walk and about 3 minutes of running, I was too hot and had to get my sweater off (while still running because heaven help me I can't stop!). Noah was playfully walking along beside me without exerting much effort. *sigh*

I decided to try a few intervals of running faster, to see how it impacted my run. So I did four intervals of running fast (even Noah had to run to keep up with me!) and then decided I should keep at my regular pace. I had a lot of minutes left to go, you know!

Surprisingly, before I knew it, the lady came on and said "Day 3 you are halfway through."  WOW - that was fast. We turned around and started back.

Suddenly, I realized the error of my ways. That long 'flat' stretch is actually a hill, and now I have to run back up it for the last ten minutes of my run. Oh oh. This was definitely not part of my plan.

Meanwhile, Noah is still playfully walking along beside me.

"Wanna do another fast run, Mom?"

"No."

In my head: can't you see the mountain I have to run up in order to get back to the cottage? Why can't I be more aware of hills when I am running down them? Why do you only notice them when they are in front of you and you are running?

We carry on and before I know it, there are 7 minutes left. This was the hard part.

Seven more, focus, seven more, it will be over before you know it.

Six more, you can do it, one foot in front of the other, keep going.

Meanwhile, a parade of cars passes and I am sure that the drivers think I look like I'm insane...there is clearly no enjoyment in this process.

Five more minutes. This isn't so bad. I can do this. Four more (reminiscent of Jane Fonda - maybe I should wear leg warmers next time!). Hey, I'm almost done!

"Noah, let's run faster!"

So we pick up the pace for the last minute and then I am done. Yippee! I'm pretty sure my legs might collapse under me before I ever finish the five minute walk back to the cottage...but eventually I get there. (Mr. Energy ran ahead of me of course).

Needless to say, I was pretty proud of myself that I finished the run. This 20 minute run looms ahead of you for the entire first five weeks, because it is wayyyyy longer than the 90 second, 3 minute, 5 minute, or 8 minute intervals you may have run.

But, I was ready for it. Breathing wasn't a problem, just the soreness in my legs but that wasn't really too bad either. Certainly after I finished, the soreness passed and I was fine the rest of the day.

I am on an off day today but will be back to the running tomorrow or Monday. Week 6! I get two more days of intervals and then at the end of week 6 the long run is for 25 minutes. From there on, the runs are 25 minutes or longer, building up each week until the end of week 9 when you are at 30 minutes.

We measured the distance afterwards, and during my 20 minute run I covered 2.5km. Not bad for my first time!

I am reading a new book on my kindle. It's The Biggest Loser coach Jillian Michaels' "Mastering Your Metabolism". I'm only a quarter of the way into it but it is very interesting. She is focusing on how all of the chemicals on and in our food, and the environmental pollutants we are exposed to, impact the hormones and androgens of our endocrine system. I think she is going to be a proponent of the Eat Clean plan. If so, I may try that, AFTER vacation. LOL!

1 comment:

Ingi said...

I'm late with this - but a BIG Woo HOO for you!!! You go girl!! You did it! Good on ya!