The Running Supermom

The Running Supermom
Everyone needs goals!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Prepping for a Storm

So our forecast is calling for 40+cm of snow over the course of tomorrow evening and Saturday. For you Americans, that's 16 inches. I'm curious how other runners run in snow. I don't have winter runnng shoes,  just have the same ones I always wear. So RUNNERS, how do you run on ice and snow and not break a leg? Or an arm...



I've heard a friend mention grips. Do they work? Or do you wear winter running shoes? Enquiring minds want to know. Preferably before I have to go out and run in snow this weekend. LOL

Last night I ran inside at the fieldhouse on the track.


Sounds great right??? Not so much. There is an explicit danger in running on that track. Many, many parents cross the track to take their kids onto the field for soccer practice. And wee little brothers and sisters run out on the track from time to time. And lazy parents sit on the benches and stretch their legs out ACROSS THE TRACK. All while you are attempting to run your run around the track.

I thnk they can't read. There are signs there. All in capital letters. They say:

KEEP THE WALKING TRACK
CLEAR
AT ALL TIMES!

Or perhaps as is typical, they think they are special and the rules don't apply to them. So for the bargain price of $2 each visit, I can pay to use the track for those five times a year I deem the roads and sidewalks to be unsuitable (even though my property taxes have a Sportsplex surcharge and this is the ONLY use of the Sportsplex that anyone in my family has). And in return I can attempt to run and avoid the adults, children, feet and shoes that try to trip me up each lap. Last night I pulled a muscle in my leg and did something to my sciatic nerve as I tried to avoid a collision with a Mom and her son. Thank you.

Anyway, I felt the need to vent about that. Glad I got it off my chest.

On to brighter things. Do you Zumba? Apparently Zumba at the Sportsplex is great on Tuesday nights! Not that you will ever see me there....I am not graceful enough for that shit. I did Zumba in the basement once. Todd laughs every time I mention it. But just thought I should let you know in case you are looking for something new and exciting.

Did I give you the link to Muffins to Marathons yet? This weekend I am going to do the Love on the Run 5k for my February medal. I managed two medals in January, so I am well on my way to accomplishing my 13 in 2013. @ramblingchick is doing 13 in 2013.1 and I have to say I kind of like that slogan. And it most definitely applies to me since my first 12 are the leadup to race number 13: the 13.1 miles I am going to cover at Disney in November!

Anyway, if you are looking for some virtual races to get you started and carry you through the winter, check out the link at:

http://www.muffinstomarathons.com/virtual-races.php

I had really wanted to do the Frosty 10k but it sold out before I registered. Same for the Sole Sisters 5k in Dartmouth in June. I guess I just have to start registering as soon as I find these races!!

Tell me what you use on your feet for winter running please!!!

No comments: